Steps to Community College Admissions

There are a few requirements necessary to be admitted to a California Community College.  A student must be eighteen years of age or have a high school diploma or GED. The high school diploma or GED are necessary requirements for a student to eligible to receive Federal Financial Aid. Once this has been established, a new student must go through the California Community College requirements called the Matriculation process. This is true of all 112 Community Colleges in the State of California. A simple definition of Matriculation is an agreement entered into on the part of the student and the college/university to assist the student with a successful transition to a college/university.  The required steps or components of the Matriculation process are:


ADMISSIONS COMPONENT - Student must complete an admissions application.  This procedure at Riverside City College is completed online at via the Admissions and Records link.



ASSESSMENT COMPONENT - Student must take the Placement Test.  The Placement Test is really an assessment of the student's reading, writing and math skills with the goal of finding the student's starting point or level in those three subjects.  At Riverside City College, this assessment is completed in a lab on a computer program call Acuplacer.  By placing the student in an appropriate level gives the student the greatest opportunity for a successful start.



ORIENTATION COMPONENT - The orientation is completed online.  At Riverside City College, instructions are given to each student immediately after completing the Placement Test.  The oreientation provides students with information and resources regarding college programs, services, financial assitance, facilities and grounds, academic expectations, course scheduling, and institutional procedures in a timely manner.  The goal is to give the student access to the necessary college resources to get off to a successful start in their college experience.  The final part of the the online orientation is for the student to complete a One Semester Educational Plan.



COUNSELING/ADVISEMENT COMPONENT - Students have the opportunity to meet with an Academic Counselor on a walk-in basis if the student has a quick question or if the student needs advice of which classes to enroll in for the upcoming semester.  Students can schedule an appointment to meet with an Academic Counselor if the student has a specific career goal or major and is aware of the university the student desires to transfer to.  It is at this meeting where the Academic Counselor will complete a two-year Student Educational Plan (SEP).  The SEP gives the student a roadmap regarding the general education and majors requirements that need to be completed to apply for a Certificate, AA or AS Degree and/or meet transfer requirements to a four-year university. 


STUDENT FOLLOW-UP COMPONENT - It is strongly recommended that each student meets with an Academic Counselor each semester or at least once per year to make sure that requirements have not changed, to update their SEP as needed and to discuss academic progress.